Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
(KSL News) It was a long, cold night for dozens of people who were forced out of a Salt Lake City apartment complex when a fire broke out.
Residents at the Belvedere condominums, at 29 South State Street, said they started smelling smoke around 9:00 last night.
Vera Mengucci/ Called 911: "I went searching room to room. I called the manager. He came up and that's when I called the fire department to see if there had been a fire in the area."
Vera Mengucci lives on the 8th floor. Ends up the fire was right above her on the 9th.
Firefighters say it started in the insulation between the 9th floor and the attic.
Scott Freitag/ Salt Lake City Fire Dept.: "It looks as though it's electrical in nature. The fire has been contained to the insulation in that ninth floor, and firefighters are putting water on it to keep it cool and to keep it from spreading."
Four floors were evacuated, but those people should be allowed back in once firefighters put out all the hot spots.
State street between South Temple and 100 South was closed much of the night. It was a three alarm fire because of the number of evacuations and because of the size of the building.