Controversial Attorney Arrested Again

Controversial Attorney Arrested Again

Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

RIVERDALE, Utah (AP) -- Controversial defense attorney Geoffrey Clark, who just finished a 30-day jail sentence last month, was arrested again after allegedly being clocked going 120 mph.

Clark was booked for speeding and driving on a suspended driver license Tuesday after a Utah Highway Patrol trooper pulled him over on Interstate 15 near the Riverdale exchange.

Trooper Tim Kiser's report said that when he first saw the northbound Clark, riding a motorcycle, he estimated his speed at 140 mph.

When he was able to use a radar gun to gauge Clark's speed, he clocked Clark as he was slowing down at 120 mph, Kiser said.

Clark was released from the Weber County Jail on $1,390 bail and his motorcycle was impounded. The class C misdemeanor charges will be prosecuted in Riverdale's Justice Court.

Clark drew the attention of Davis County sheriff's deputies on Jan. 18 while speeding through a construction zone in a Mercedes on U.S. 89 in Kaysville.

Marijuana and drug paraphernalia were found in the car and a blood test revealed the presence of marijuana in Clark's system at the time of the offense, prosecutors said.

He was charged with driving with a measurable amount of a controlled substance ingested, possession of drugs and paraphernalia and driving on a revoked license, all misdemeanors, and a third-degree felony evading charge when he did not immediately pull over for officers.

The evading was reduced to a misdemeanor in a March 18 plea bargain where Clark pleaded guilty to the charges except for the paraphernalia count, which was dismissed.

Second District Judge Darwin Hansen sentenced him to 30 days in jail and fined him $2,845. He was allowed work release during the jail term.

In April 2002, Clark was found in contempt of court by 2nd District Judge Ernie Jones and jailed for 30 days for his behavior during a murder trial in Ogden.

Clark told the jury his client was only 5 feet 2 inches tall, when he was actually 5 foot 7, misrepresented family members of the victim as having criminal records and ignored the judge's repeated orders not to tell the jury about a trace amount of cocaine in the victim's system.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast