(KSL News) A mother and her three children escaped a fire that heavily damaged their home early this morning.
A 16 year old girl says she heard the fire crackling about 4:30. She then rushed her mother and the rest of the family outside to safety.
Salt Lake City firefighters fought the flames quickly---mostly in the upper sections of the home and the roof. The cause: a candle that had been left burning all night.
The family's home suffered at least 50-thousand dollars in damage.
Reportedly the 16 year old had been told in the past NOT to burn candles when the family was not around.