News / Utah / 

Two Home Invasions Could Be Connected

Two Home Invasions Could Be Connected

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Sam Penrod ReportingWas the man arrested yesterday suspected of a home invasion robbery in Orem, the same robber who invaded a Sandy woman's home last week? That's the question Sandy police are trying to sort out today.

Sgt. Bill O’Neal: "Right now he's just a person of interest, we can neither prove or disprove that he was involved in ours."

What has detectives very suspicious is that both the Orem and Sandy cases appear identical in what the suspect did and what he wanted. Police in Sandy are paying very close attention to yesterday's home invasion in Orem because they are so similar it seems to be much more than a coincidence.

Last night we told you how a robber entered an Orem woman's home and held both her and her three-year old son at gunpoint, before tying them up, stealing credit cards, demanding the PINS to those cars and driving away in the family's van.

The circumstances of that case and the suspect description almost mirror what happened in Sandy on Thursday of last week. Investigators say a man wearing a ski mask kicked his way through the back door of this house. He waited until the owner got home, then surprised her in the hallway. He ordered her to the floor, tied her hands and took her purse and car, which was found abandoned a few blocks away.

Sgt. Bill O'Neal, Sandy Police Dept.: "Our investigators are currently working very closely with theirs, comparing things. They already have the suspect in custody; we're going to interview, collect evidence, eyewitness statements and also suspect statements if he chooses to make any."

The suspect is 20-year old Sean Anthony Gayou, who was arrested by Orem police about an hour after the robbery. He was found with a loaded handgun, a police badge and handcuffs.

The suspect is still in jail, where his bail has been set at $25,000. Police say it may still be a few more days before they can determine if the suspect was involved in both home invasions.

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast