News / Utah / 
Girl's Coat Catches Fire on Heating Device; House Gutted by Flames

Girl's Coat Catches Fire on Heating Device; House Gutted by Flames

Posted - Nov. 30, 2004 at 7:52 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN, Utah (AP) -- Fire gutted an Ogden home after a five-year-old girl's coat caught fire when she got too close to a gas stove being used to heat her home.

The girl took the coat off and ran to a neighbor's house, but the fire quickly spread in the small wood frame house.

She suffered burns on both arms but was in fair condition.

A friend and neighbor says the family had to have the gas stove on to heat the house. When the girl brushed up against it she caught fire.

Two other siblings got out of the home after they saw the smoke.

Fire officials say the home is likely a total loss.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast