News / Utah / 

Candle Starts Apartment Fire

Candle Starts Apartment Fire

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Amanda Butterfield reporting Fire crews say a candle is the cause for an apartment fire in Salt Lake County. Dozens of residents were evacuated from their apartments while crews fought the blaze.

Firefighters say the flames really just ignited in seconds.

It all began just before 11:30 pm at 371 E. Crimson Circle, in South Salt Lake.

A woman was sitting with her child on a bed, getting the child ready for a bath. The child was playing on the bed, near a burning candle.

Firefighters say the mother turned around for just a moment to turn on the water to fill the tub, but that's all it took.

Chief Steve Foote/South Salt Lake Fire Dept.: "As quickly as that happened, the candle tipped over and ignited the mattress product on fire."

Crews were able to contain the flames to the mattress. The mother and child were displaced for the night.

The fire caused about 25 thousand dollars in smoke and water damage. About 30 people were evacuated from the complex, but are back inside their homes this morning.

Chief Foote also say last night's fire serves as a reminder to be careful with candles.

"We just want to caution people over and over, please be careful with these candles."

Firefighters also warn about furnaces this winter. With the temperatures taking an extra dip, heaters will be working overtime.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast