News / Utah / 
Poison Control Offers Holiday Reminders

Poison Control Offers Holiday Reminders

Posted - Dec. 21, 2004 at 4:22 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Shelley Osterloh ReportingThe Utah Poison Control Center is a busy place this time of year. There are some common things you can do to keep your children safe this holiday season.

Experts at the Poison Control Center say this is the time of year when children may visit homes that are not child-proofed and medications are sometimes left out.

Dr. E Martin Caravati, MD, MPH, FACMT, Utah Poison Control Center: "Grandparents may not be used to keeping them out of the kid's reach. And, uh, or they'll have them set out for the morning and the kids get up early and are down in the kitchen and they'll find an attractive tablet sitting in a bowl or a pill minder and get into that."

Dr. Martin Caravati says the Poison Control Center has a list that's called "one pill can kill."

Dr. E Martin Caravati, MD, MPH, FACMT, Utah Poison Control Center: "For example, some diabetic medications are like that, that can drop a child's blood pressure very rapidly. And heart medications can be like that, some blood pressure medications for heart arithytmias, the child gets a hold of just one of those pills can be a real concern."

While mistletoe is one plant you want to keep away from kids, there's one widely held misconception.

Dr. E Martin Caravati, MD, MPH, FACMT, Utah Poison Control Center: “The number one request we get is about poinsettias. And it’s long been considered a very poisonous plant, but actually it’s not a toxic plant.”

But if you have any concerns, don't hesitate to call the Utah Poison Control Center

Dr. E Martin Caravati, MD, MPH, FACMT, Utah Poison Control Center: “The only bad call is the one you don't make, really."

There is no charge for calls and experts are ready to answer 24 hours a day. The phone number for poison control is 1-800-222-1222.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast