News / Utah / 
Car Exhaust Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Car Exhaust Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Posted - Dec. 28, 2004 at 5:51 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Alex Cabrero ReportingCarbon Monoxide is known as the "silent killer." Fortunately, three people affected by the deadly gas spoke up and saved their own lives.

Some of the most deadly carbon monoxide cases involve cars running in garages and no ventilation. Three auto-mechanic workers almost became another sad statistic on Monday. They were working on two cars at a South Salt Lake City garage, both of them running, both of them in a closed garage. Throw in a propane heater for warmth and the mix was almost deadly.

One of the workers was able to call for help and now all three of them are doing better. Gabriel Duarte is still at LDS Hospital receiving treatments, which involved compressed oxygen in hyperbaric chambers, but his doctor believes Duarte will make a full recovery.

At first, Duarte thought they had just eaten bad food, but when the three men started feeling dizzy and faint, they called for help. It was a smart move and one doctors say more people should do.

Dr. Lin Weaver, Hyperbaric Medicine, LDS Hospital: "Often people don't feel well. They're not sure what's going on. They think maybe it’s a flu or something. Yet, when everybody comes down with the same sort of symptoms and no one has a fever, that should prompt some to think about carbon monoxide, I think."

CO2 can also come from heaters leaking, and this time of year it's very common.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast