This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
PARK VALLEY, Utah (AP) -- A broken propane line was blamed for a fire early Monday morning that claimed $500,000 worth of Box Elder County property and vehicles.
The fire marshal determined that snow falling from the roof landed on the propane line and broke it, which allowed flammable gas to fill the county shed.
A pilot light ignited the gas, blowing out all five bay doors.
The fire destroyed one of the county's three ambulances, a fire truck, road grader and a snow plow, the sheriff's office said.
Park Valley will be without its ambulance and the other vehicles, which means similar equipment could be more than an hour away and there could be difficulty maintaining the roads after a major storm, County Commission Chairman Scott Hansen said.
Another county grader has been moved to Park Valley to keep the area prepared for a snowstorm, said John Collom, county roads supervisor.
"That building's a big loss," he said. "It's going to be hard to replace a truck and a grader."
There were no injuries.
Officials should know Tuesday whether insurance covered the losses.
(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)