News / Utah / 

Toddler Burns Hands on Fireplace Glass

Toddler Burns Hands on Fireplace Glass

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) It happens all too often, as a hidden danger claims another victim.

A one-year-old boy is recovering from second and third degree burns after touching the glass plate of a fireplace.

The boy was with his mother in the living room of their home at 13165 S. 326 West, when he apparently slipped out of her sight, walked up to the fireplace, and touched the glass plate.

Acting Capt. Troy Prows/ Unified Fire Authority: "A lot of us have gas logs in our home, and a lot of us probably don't realize how hot that glass is on the face of it. Especially with the height of a little one-year-old being able to walk right up to it. You have to keep a pretty close eye on them."

The boy was flown to the University of Utah burn unit. He will have to undergo extensive treatment to regain the use of his hands.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast