Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
(KSL News) A fire broke out in a wood-framed garage in Salt Lake City, but that wasn't the only problem facing fire crews.
Dennis McKone/Salt Lake City Fire Dept.: "While they were working on that, the power lines came down. The lines have been popping and arcing quite bad."
Nearly 20 power lines snapped, sending sparks up and over the garage at 175 E. 1750 South. Fire crews backed off for safety reasons and waited until Utah Power officials arrived and turned off the power.
The fire started around 9:30 last night, and by the time crews arrived the garage was fully engulfed in flames.
No one was home at the time. Damage is estimated at $10,000. No word yet on the cause.