Man Surrenders Following Standoff

Man Surrenders Following Standoff

Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Coco Warner reportingGunshots rang out as a man held off police for nearly three hours in Heber City on Sunday. The stand-off ended peacefully just after 6:00 pm.

No one was hurt, and 50-year-old Mark Bardsley is now in police custody.

Residents of the East Heber subdivision The Timberlakes were hoping to enjoy their holiday weekend. But around 3:00 Sunday afternoon, gunshots rang through the air, shattering windows, and shattering the nerves of this normally quiet neighborhood.

"I saw the shotgun barrel. He was swinging it down," says Tammy Harrison, "toward the bottom of the stairs."

The Harrisons' cabin is just above the home Mark Bardsley barricaded himself in. After hearing gunfire, they called 911 and hid in their basement.

"We couldn't see him," said John Harrison. "We could hear him yelling. He was throwing things, like we saw the computer come from the upstairs."

"Then they pulled up a SWAT van, the big SWAT van," Tammy said. "They took us out behind our vans and then we got in there and a bunch of SWAT guys got in with us. That's when they shot at us."

There were tears and relief, when nearly an hour later, they could rejoin the rest of their family.

Tammy's mother Pat Buehler said they were, "Just thankful they're okay."

Meantime, Bardsley had fired off several rounds, some at cops, before a Wasatch County dispatcher got a hold of Bardsely on the phone nearly three hours later.

Police say there may have been some type of alcohol and maybe mental issues.

"Contact was made with the barricaded suspect," said Lt. Jeff Winterton of the Wastach Sherriff's Office. "At that point he was talked into surrendering, and he has been removed from that residence."

Today's standoff involved several police and safety departments, and the cooperation of nearby residents who were evacuated from their homes or not allowed access.

Finally, just after 6:00, after waiting outside the gates for hours, residents could go home.

"It doesn't happen. It's just like being in a movie," said John Harrison.

A movie that, thankfully, had a relatively happy ending.

Tammy Harrison says she believes Bardsley is either the friend or boyfriend of the woman who owns the home. That woman was not inside the house at the time of the shootings.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast