Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
OREM -- A 9-month old infant is in critical condition at Primary Children's Hospital after the boy found a piece of metal on the floor at home and swallowed it.
Lt. Gary Downey, with the Orem Department of Public Safety, says the boy was found unresponsive and not breathing. 911 was called at about 9:30 Monday morning and paramedics rushed the boy to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
"They learned that the airway was obstructed by a small sharp object," said Downey.
The child was then transported to Primary Children's Medical Center.
"They performed surgery and removed a small, sharp object that had been aspirated into the child's airway," said Downey.
Police aren't sure what the piece of metal was or where it came from. They say it appears this was just an unfortunate accident.