News / Utah / 

Feds back at home of convicted artifacts thief

Feds back at home of convicted artifacts thief

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BLANDING -- Federal agents drove moving vans to the home of Jeanne Redd on Tuesday, seizing more ancient Indian artifacts and other relics. The 59-year-old convicted artifacts dealer is handing them over as part of her plea deal with federal prosecutors, the FBI said.

On Monday, Redd pleaded guilty to a seven-count indictment accusing her of involvement in an illegal network of artifact thieves. Her daughter, Jerrica, 37, also pleaded guilty to charges of illegally possessing government and tribal property.

"We are removing pieces that the Redd's agreed to turn over as part of their agreement with the United States government," FBI Special Agent Juan Becerra told KSL NewsRadio.

A pair of moving vans were seen going to Jeanne Redd's home, a large-sized property that overlooks Blanding. The FBI said the size of her home made it difficult to seize all of the items during a raid last month.

"It's just a huge location, and we couldn't remove all of it at once," Becerra said.

Archaeologists, BLM agents and FBI agents were involved in collecting the artifacts on Tuesday. Some of the pieces could be considered evidence in the ongoing case against 22 other defendants accused of involvement in the artifact dealing ring.

"These are pieces that the Redd's have offered as what they believe is something that the government needs to have as part of their investigation," Becerra said.

Federal prosecutors have refused to say if the Redds will testify against anyone else in the case. They are the first to cut deals and the U.S. Attorney's Office for Utah has said it will recommend a lighter sentence for their cooperation.

The case, considered to be one of the largest of its kind in the nation, has been controversial. A day after being charged, Jeanne Redd's husband, Dr. James Redd, 60, committed suicide. Another defendant, Steven Shrader, 56, also killed himself.

The deaths prompted criticism of federal tactics in a dawn raid that netted the bulk of the arrests. The FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office for Utah have defended themselves, saying it was necessary for officer safety and evidence preservation.


Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Ben Winslow


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast