News / Utah / 

Frat member sought advice from poison control line



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- About four hours before a Utah State University freshman died of alcohol poisoning, a fraternity member called the Utah Poison Control Center saying Michael Starks had "ingested a little over his limit in alcohol."

A transcript of the recorded call obtained by The Salt Lake Tribune also shows the caller declined to give Starks' name, said he was 21 years old instead of 18, and said the freshman was "pretty drunk" but still awake and alert.

The caller said he wanted information about alcohol poisoning and how best to treat the freshman.

The dispatcher said he should be taken to a hospital if he can't be woken up or if he aspirates vomit.

Starks, a pledge to Sigma Nu fraternity, died Nov. 21.

------

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Related Links

Related Stories

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast