This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
(KSL News)--Forty nine people have died in the US since Thanksgiving in fires caused by space heaters.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says 49 killed is not an unusual number, but with the extreme cold the potential for more deadly fires is high.
Consumer experts advise keeping space heaters at least three feet away from flammable materials, like bedding. Never put the heater on carpet or furniture where it could tip over and ignite.
Hal Stratton, Consumer Product Safety Commission: "The other real cardinal rule on space heaters is 'Don't go asleep with it on and don't leave the room with it on."
And they recommend consumers check for safety features like a grate over the heating element and an automatic shut-off if the heater tips over.