News / 

Schwarzenegger Wants End to Steroids in Bodybuilding

Posted - Mar. 8, 2004 at 11:20 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

COLUMBUS, Ohio, March 7 (AFP) - California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is vowing to use his new position as editor of a muscle magazine to push for an end to steroid use in bodybuilding, the San Jose Mercury News reported on Sunday.

Schwarzenegger spoke briefly to reporters while attending an annual bodybuilding event named in his honour, Arnold Fitness Weekend.

"It is very complicated," said Schwarzenegger, who was recently named executive editor of Flex and Muscle, and Fitness magazines.

About 2,500 people paid 350 dollars each to have their picture taken with the former bodybuilder at the three-day event that featured over 11,000 competitors, the newspaper said.

Schwarzenegger has gone from Mr Olympia, to one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood to a political figure who is now in the fourth month of his new role as governor of California.

A dark cloud of hung over this year's Arnold event because of the arrival in Columbus of embattled drug-lab operator Victor Conte.

Conte, the head of BALCO Laboratories, has been accused by federal officials of giving performance-enhancing supplements to star athletes like San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds.

Conte was in Columbus to promote one of his new products, the paper said.

The event was part competition and part convention. Hundreds of vendor booths were staff with scantilly-clad women peddling plastic bags filled with the pills and powders designed to help the athletes bulk up.

Besides Schwarzenegger, other notable names included actor Lou Ferrigno and Sylvester Stallone.

Meanwhile federal investigators want to limit the number of steroid test result subpoenas to seven athletes in the BALCO probe, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The Chronicle said investigators will issue new subpoenas to Bonds, Jason and Jeremy Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Benito Santiago, Armando Rios and Bobby Estalella.

Originally the probe dealt with 1,428 test results and subpoenas from last year, said the paper.

gph04

Sports-USA-steroids-Schwarzenegger

COPYRIGHT 2004 Agence France-Presse. All rights reserved.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast