News / 

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Help in Outages

Posted - Mar. 11, 2004 at 11:40 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ATLANTA, Mar 11, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- U.S. health officials Thursday said having carbon monoxide alarms in homes can help keep people safe during power outages.

The recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention came after researchers studied a December 2002 power outage in Mecklenburg County, N.C. During the nine-day outage, which was caused by an ice storm, 79 percent of households lost power, 124 people were poisoned by carbon monoxide and one woman died.

The CDC researchers said severe carbon monoxide poisoning and death could have been prevented if people had inexpensive, battery-operated detectors operating during times when alternative heating and electricity sources were in use -- including charcoal or propane grills and electrical generators.

The CDC found that during the Mecklenburg outage, in households without detectors, one in five people exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide was severely poisoned. In houses with functioning alarms, all but one of 31 people exposed to carbon monoxide escaped with no symptoms or just mild symptoms of poisoning.

Copyright 2004 by United Press International.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast