Roy man charged in Ogden warehouse stabbing

Kay Karnes, 22, was charged with attempted murder and
aggravated assault after police say an argument between him and a
coworker turned into a violent stabbing.

(Adobe Stock image)

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A Roy man now faces an attempted murder charge after police say an argument between him and a coworker turned into a violent stabbing early Friday morning.

Kay Karnes, 22, was charged in 2nd District Court with attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a second-degree felony.

Sometime around 1 a.m. Friday, Karnes, who police say was working at a warehouse at 960 W. White Drive, and a coworker got into an argument that "became more heated as they exchanged verbally with each other," according to charging documents.

"At one point, (Karnes) went and grabbed a steak style kitchen knife with a black handle and serrated teeth," the documents read.

Karnes returned to the warehouse and continued arguing. That's when police say he tackled the man to the ground and attempted to stab him "in the neck three different times."

As Karnes was on top of his coworker, a second woman intervened, grabbing his knife-wielding hand, according to the charges. Karnes forcibly pulled his hand back, cutting the woman's left middle, ring, and pinky fingers, severing ligaments in her hand and leaving her with two deep lacerations that police say required 17 stitches.

An emergency room doctor later told police that she could "potentially lose the full function in her left hand permanently."

The man told investigators he was "deeply thankful for" the woman "because without her intervention he believed that he would have been killed during this incident."

The woman also told police she believed Karnes was "intent" on killing the man "and would have succeeded if she had not intervened."

After the stabbing, police say Karnes hid the knife in the warehouse and fled the scene. He was later arrested in Clearfield and told police he "intentionally grabbed the knife" but only to scare the victim "because of the fight that was breaking out."

"Kay denied attempting to stab victim 1 but did confirm that he pulled his hand back when victim 2 grabbed him," according to the charges.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Kyle Dunphey


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast