PHILADELPHIA, Oct 05, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) -- A 5-year-old kindergartner from Hammonton, Pa., has died of bacterial meningitis at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
The boy, whose name was not released, was a student at Hammonton's Early Childhood Education Center. He was diagnosed with the infection during the weekend and died Monday, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Tuesday.
The boy received "aggressive treatment, but the illness had progressed rapidly. We received the news with great sadness. No other children are showing signs of infection," said Patricia Diamond, acting health officer for the Atlantic County Division of Public Health.
The education center, a public school, was sanitized during the weekend and declared safe by county health officials.
Copyright 2004 by United Press International.