Richardson pleads guilty to two murders

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

A man involved in two brutal murders in Central Utah on April 10 pleaded guilty today.

Donald Richardson admitted in court that he strangled his former girlfriend, Annette Young of Fairview. Prosecutors say he left a note behind in the home detailing their failed relationship.

Richardson pleads guilty to two murders

Richardson said he had a couple of drinks and then went to the home of Martin Cannon in Mt. Pleasant, a man he was acquainted with and shot him in the face, just feet from Cannon's wife and children.

Today's guilty pleas will keep Richardson behind bars for the rest of his natural life. The Sanpete County Attorney said, "The families of both of the victims in this case were interested in a quick closure of this case and did not want to see this case prolonged for the months and years it can take to prosecute a death penalty case."

Richardson pleads guilty to two murders

Family and friends of Martin Cannon were there to support him and say his death remains hard on his young children.

Angela Golden, victim's widow, said, "We have two children, a 5- and 6-year-old, and they love him very, very much. They miss him. They listen to his voice. We have his voice recorded on the cell phone and videos. My kids laugh and smile and cry, and the nightmares haven't stopped for them."

Cannon's family believes the plea deal is the best for them to move on and may prove to be more of a punishment for Richardson. "The death penalty was an option for this, but me and my children decided it would be better to let him live his life in hell rather than condemn him to death," Golden said. "That's God's job, not mine."

Richardson will be formally sentenced and sent to prison for life on Dec. 19.

Richardson fled Utah after the murders and was captured 24 hours in Oregon.


Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Sam Penrod


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast