Utah athletics department receives $6 million for women's sports

Utah athletics department receives $6 million for women's sports

(Colter Peterson, KSL)

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — On Thursday, the University of Utah announced a donation of $6 million to support women’s volleyball, basketball, women’s club sports, and the Utes with Wings program.

The donation was given by Harriet and Leo Hopf who are long-time supporters of the university and its women’s sports. This donation is among one of the largest planned gifts in the history of the university supporting women’s athletics.

A total of 80% of the Houpfs donation to the University of Utah athletics department will go to the women’s basketball, volleyball, and Utes with Wings program, with the remaining 20% going toward women’s club sports.

"The generosity of Harriet and Leo Hopf knows no boundaries," Utah volleyball coach Beth Launiere said in a statement. "They have immersed themselves in the Utah volleyball program as fans, donors, mentors and friends. This financial contribution is another example of their commitment to fostering equality and opportunity for female student-athletes.

"The Hopfs truly are champions of women's sports, and this philanthropic gift will have a tremendous impact on generations to come."

The pair will be recognized for their donation on Feb. 1 — the Utah-Oregon State women’s basketball game, which begins at 12 p.m.

"Harriet and Leo are incredible ambassadors for Utah Women's Athletics," said women's basketball coach Lynne Roberts in a statement. "They have been faithful and passionate supporters of our program — from cheering loudly on the sidelines, to sending encouraging notes to coaches, to taking professional photographs of the action during games.

"They epitomize what it means to genuinely and sincerely support," she added. "This incredibly generous gift to our women's athletic programs at the University of Utah just continues to shine a bright light on what amazing people the Hopfs truly are. We are beyond grateful."

Most recent Utah Utes stories

Related topics

Utah UtesSports


Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast