CLINTON — A family of six was displaced from their home on Friday after a garage fire spread to the house, causing an estimated $300,000 in damage, Clinton City Fire Department officials said.
No one was injured in the incident, Clinton City Fire Chief David Olsen said. The fire was accidental and was caused by an unattended propane heater that was too close to combustibles in the garage, the fire department announced on Twitter Saturday.
The fire spread from the garage to the home’s attic, where it then spread quickly across the upstairs of the home, located near 600 W. and 1800 North.
A neighbor spotted the flames and alerted the homeowners to evacuate. There were three people inside the home at that time, Olsen said.
In addition to the damage done to the home and garage, two vehicles in the garage were destroyed in the blaze, Olsen said.
The front end of a car parked in the driveway was also damaged, due to heat coming from the fire inside of the garage.
Update on last nights fire. Fire cause was accidental and from a unattended propane heater that was to close to combustibles in the garage. pic.twitter.com/UlUXzpUjnf— Clinton Fire Dept (@Clintonfire) December 14, 2019
Olsen noted the damage could have been far worse had the door connecting the house to the garage not been closed.
He said it’s crucial residents remember to keep that connecting door shut, to prevent fires from spreading faster.
In addition to Clinton Fire Department, crews from North Davis Fire District, Syracuse Fire Department, Hill Air Force Base and Roy Fire Department assisted in extinguishing the flames.
Friends of the victims have started a charitable account at America First Credit Union under "The Brian family charitable account," according to family member Amberlee Brian.*
*KSL.com does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.