News / Utah / 

Salt Lake City Police Department

Salt Lake police take man into custody following 90-minute standoff

By Jacob Klopfenstein, | Updated - Aug. 20, 2019 at 11:30 a.m. | Posted - Aug. 20, 2019 at 8:18 a.m.

3 photos

Show 1 more video

SALT LAKE CITY — Police have taken into custody a man who they say barricaded himself inside a home near 500 S. Redwood Road on Tuesday morning.

About 9:45 a.m., Timothy Gurule, 64, was taken into custody without any incident after a standoff that lasted about 90 minutes, Salt Lake police said on Twitter. He was arrested at a home at 547 S. Redwood Road for investigation of felony drug and weapons warrants, police said. Further potential charges are pending, according to police.

Authorities shut down all lanes of Redwood Road between 500 South and 800 South shortly before 8 a.m., according to police. The road reopened shortly after 10 a.m., according to Salt Lake police.

The home where the man was arrested is known to police, and officers have had prior incidents there, Wilking said. Since Gurule had active weapons warrants, there was a possibility he was armed, he added.

Police officers, social workers, negotiators and a motorized robot were on the scene to assist with the barricaded man, police said in a tweet.

"We’ve brought in a lot of resources, a lot of police officers in their protective equipment, to make sure that this area is safe and that we’ve got it contained," Wilking said.

There was no danger to the public, he said.

As the standoff began, employees and students at nearby Edison Elementary, 466 S. Cheyenne St., were ordered inside the school building, and outside doors were locked, the Salt Lake City School District said on Twitter. The lockout was canceled about 9:50 a.m.

Classes proceeded normally inside the building, the district said. There was no danger to students inside the school, and school resource officers were present in the building, Wilking added.

Contributing: Eric Morgan, KSL


Jacob Klopfenstein

KSL Weather Forecast