SOUTH SALT LAKE — Multiple businesses, including a day care with 20 young children, were evacuated Tuesday morning due to a natural gas leak, fire officials said.
Crews were dispatched to a report of the leak at 2265 S. Main St. about 8:30 a.m., South Salt Lake Fire Deputy Chief Terry Addison said.
Addison said officials at a gas company believe the leak was coming from a heating/air conditioning unit on the top of a strip mall in the area. No leaks were found inside any of the businesses affected.
About 20 small children and seven to 10 employees of the day care were evacuated while crews worked to repair the leak, he added.
Those evacuated were on a heated bus until they were allowed back into the building or parents pick the children up, Addison said.
Seven businesses in a strip mall area near the leak were also evacuated.
The leak was repaired later in the morning and the evacuations were lifted.