North Carolina county leaders say second cyberattack failed



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A North Carolina county recovering from a cyberattack says hackers failed in a second attempt to infiltrate their computer system.

Mecklenburg County officials say foreign hackers redoubled their efforts after the county refused to pay a ransom Wednesday. But county officials released a statement Friday saying the second attack was unsuccessful.

Earlier in the week, the first wave of ransomware hit county computers when an employee opened a fraudulent email. Dozens of county servers were frozen by the hackers, requiring technology workers to embark on days of repairs. It also forced the county to do much of its business on paper.

County officials said Friday afternoon that the restoration is progressing. But at least some web-based searches still weren't working, including ones for jail inmate records and property data.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast