Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
ST. GEORGE — A 25-year-old man died Wednesday evening after he was severely burned when a campfire in a yard got out of control, police said.
The man and a friend had a fire in a firepit in the yard of a house near 1650 West in St. George, the city’s police department said in a Facebook post on Thursday.
He had tried to stoke the fire with some gasoline, according to police, but flames spread to his arms and clothes. The man tried to douse the fire on the ground but was not successful, police said.
The man ended up near a truck that was parked near the house, and responders found him there when they got to the scene at about 10:12 p.m. Wednesday, according to police.
The man was taken to an emergency room at a local hospital with “extensive burn injuries,” police said. He later died at the hospital. An officer who responded to the scene was able to put out some of the flames with a garden hose.
Police did not identify the man because they were still notifying his family members and friends.