This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
OREM — A man who thought he could get police to respond to his house faster if he told them there was an active shooter inside is now facing a felony charge.
The 53-year-old Orem man was charged this week with emergency report abuse, a third-degree felony.
On July 3, the man called 911 to report "there was a person in his residence that 'had a gun and wanted to kill two people,' and that 'shots had been fired,'" according to charging documents.
Based on that call, police responded in "emergency fashion," charges state, expecting to find an active shooter.
"When the officers arrived, the (man) advised them that there had only been a loud domestic argument, and that no gun was involved, nor shots fired. He told the officer that he had made these statements to the 911 operator in order to get the police to respond quicker, and that he had done this before and saw no problem with it," according to court documents.
As of Thursday, no initial court appearance had been scheduled in the case.