Find a list of your saved stories here

2 injured after police chase reaches 120 mph in southern Utah

2 injured after police chase reaches 120 mph in southern Utah


Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

IRON COUNTY — A man and woman were injured after leading police on a chase that reached speeds of 120 mph on I-15 in southern Utah Tuesday night.

A Utah Highway Patrol trooper began pursuing the couple's vehicle around 9:30 p.m. after the car sped by at 104 mph northbound near the border of Washington and Iron County, said Utah Highway Patrol Lt. Todd Royce. The vehicle reached speeds of 120 mph, and the trooper chased the vehicle for about eight miles before ending the pursuit in Iron County.

The couple's vehicle crashed about three miles from where the trooper ended the chase and caught fire, Royce said. Other troopers in the area noticed the debris and rushed to the scene.

The driver was outside the car, but the woman was still trapped inside. Troopers cut her out and transported the couple to Cedar City in fair condition.

The car was stolen from Los Angeles, California. The driver and passenger will face possible charges of felony evading police and possession of a stolen vehicle, according to Royce.

Police originally reported that the woman had life-threatening injuries and was in critical condition. They have since updated their report.

The couple's names have not yet been released.

This article will be updated.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast