This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest on the Syrian conflict (all times local):
The leader of the Syrian opposition is challenging the United Nations, its Syria envoy and the world community to acknowledge that President Bashar Assad's government is "rejecting" peace negotiations in Geneva.
Nasr Hariri spoke to reporters after meeting with U.N. Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura as the U.N.-mediated peace talks resumed after a weekend pause, but with the government delegation a no-show.
Hariri said the newly expanded opposition was committed to implementing U.N. Security Council resolutions that call for political transition, among other things.
Hariri said: "True negotiation is between two parties."
"So now, it is the responsibility of the international community, it is the responsibility of the United Nations and the special envoy, to announce to the world who is the party who is rejecting the negotiation."
A spokesman for the Syrian opposition's delegation to peace talks says it remains committed to a political transition in which President Bashar Assad would have no role, a position the government has always rejected.
Talks resumed between the opposition and the U.N. envoy to Syria on Tuesday but the government delegation did not show up. The Syrian government said it is mulling a return to Geneva, following a short break.
The head of the government delegation has called the opposition communique to the talks, in which they state that their goal is to see a transition period take effect without Assad, "irresponsible."
Opposition spokesman Yahya Aridi meanwhile called on the United Nations and allies of Assad to halt a bombing campaign that has escalated in recent weeks against eastern Ghouta, a besieged rebel-held suburb near Damascus. Aridi said children in Ghouta are dying and have no access to medical care amid an intense bombing campaign that began last month.
The U.N. envoy for Syria is "ready to engage" with President Bashar Assad's representatives as peace talks are set to resume in Geneva, but they haven't shown up yet.
U.N. spokeswoman Alessandra Vellucci says the eighth round of peace talks under special envoy Staffan de Mistura was set to restart Tuesday after a weekend break.
She said: "The delegation of the government has been invited back in Geneva as of today."
Syria's ambassador to Geneva, Hussam Edin Aala, told The Associated Press that Damascus was "studying" the invitation.
The head of Syria's government delegation has blasted the opposition for a communique in which it stated its ultimate goal was to remove Assad from power. Bashar Ja'afari said on Friday his team was leaving Geneva for the weekend and that Syria would decide whether it would return to the talks.
Ja'afari warned then that there could be no progress in the talks as long as the opposition insisted on what he described as a "provocative and irresponsible" position.
Syrian state media and an opposition monitoring group say an explosion has ripped through a van near the central city of Homs, killing at least eight people.
The Islamic State group claimed Tuesday's attack in Akarma, a government stronghold south of Homs.
IS says it targeted a bus carrying Syrian soldiers, but the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said those killed were civilians, including six women.
Syrian state TV has aired images of the van's charred body, as well as damaged vehicles nearby. State news agency SANA says eight people were killed and 18 wounded.
Homs, Syria's third largest city, is frequently hit by bombs. The city was known as the "capital of the revolution" following the 2011 uprising against President Bashar Assad, but is now under government control.
Syria's state news agency says Syrian air defense has shot down three Israeli missiles that were targeting a military post near the capital, Damascus.
SANA says the attack occurred early on Tuesday but hasn't said whether there were casualties.
The attack comes three days after Syria said Israel fired several surface-to-surface missiles at a military post near Damascus, causing material damage but no casualties.
There was no Israeli comment on the incident.
The opposition's Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attack was an Israeli airstrike on the Damascus suburb of Jamraya, which is home to a government research center.
Israel has carried out a number of airstrikes against suspected arms shipments believed to be bound for Lebanon's Hezbollah militant group, which is fighting alongside Syrian government forces.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.