Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — A federal trial has been postponed for a Louisiana private investigator accused of trying to illegally obtain Donald Trump's tax returns during last year's presidential campaign.
Jury selection was scheduled to begin Monday for Jordan Hamlett's federal trial, but a filing from the court says it must be delayed due to an "unforeseen conflict with the court." The new trial date is Dec. 11.
The 32-year-old Lafayette resident is charged with misusing a Social Security number while trying unsuccessfully to access Trump's tax information through a security weakness in a U.S. Department of Education financial aid website.
Hamlett's attorney says he didn't have "intent to deceive" -- a key element of the charge.
Every president since Jimmy Carter has released their tax returns. Trump has refused to release his.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.