Find a list of your saved stories here

2 dead after SLC crash, TRAX service affected near U.

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — Two people are dead after a two-vehicle crash at 500 S. 1110 East in Salt Lake City Friday afternoon.

Emergency crews responded to the crash around 3:40 p.m. A Subaru Forester was rear-ended and flipped over, spun around and caught fire, according to SLC Police Detective Richard Chipping.

The driver of the Subaru was declared dead at the crash scene due to fire, Chipping said. The car was quickly engulfed in flames after the crash, he said. There was only one occupant of the Subaru.

The driver of a second car involved in the crash, a 77-year-old man, died later on Friday night, according to Salt Lake City police. A passenger in the car was still being treated.

Traffic was blocked between the University of Utah and 900 South, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

UTA officials said via social media that a bus bridge was in effect between Trolley and Stadium TRAX stations. The bus bridge will remain in place for the rest of service on Friday night, according to UTA.

UTA spokesman Remi Barron said a major support catenary pole was damaged in the crash and needs to be replaced. A spare was being taken to the scene. Full TRAX service on the Red Line is expected to resume Saturday morning.

The cause of the crash and other injuries are still unknown.

Contributing: Liesl Nielsen

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast