Find a list of your saved stories here

Portugal admits to outdated security in army weapon theft


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal's defense minister says the army national armory where hand grenades, ammunition and other weapons were stolen last month was vulnerable due to its "obsolete" electronic surveillance system.

Defense Minister Jose Azeredo Lopes says ordnance still stored there will be moved to arsenals kept by the Navy and the Air Force, which meet NATO standards.

Azeredo Lopes says senior military officials warned the government last September that army installations were in a state of disrepair but intelligence services classified security risks as low. He told public broadcaster RTP on Wednesday night that military spending priorities were poorly defined. He refused to any link between the June 28 break-in and cuts in defense spending.

The public prosecutor is investigating the theft, assisted by police, military investigators and the National Counter-Terrorism Unit.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

World
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast