Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BOSTON (AP) — A Massachusetts man who authorities say threatened to assassinate President Barack Obama, bomb police stations and burn down a mosque has pleaded guilty to unlawful possession of ammunition.
Joseph Gargiulo, of Holliston, was arrested last August when an FBI raid of his home turned up assault rifle parts, ammunition, incendiary materials and handwritten notes threatening violence against Muslims. Gargiulo was prohibited from possessing firearms and ammunition because his wife had been granted a restraining order against him.
Friends and relatives told investigators about the threats, but Gargiulo was not criminally charged with making them. His lawyer at the time denied that his client had made threats.
Gargiulo faces 10 years in prison at sentencing Oct. 12.
He told a judge when pleading guilty Wednesday that he is "more clear-headed now."
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.