News / Utah / 

Third man wanted in 1991 killing taken into custody

Third man wanted in 1991 killing taken into custody

(Brian A Jackson, Shutterstock)

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — The third of three men wanted in connection with the 1991 stabbing death of a man at a dance has been booked into the Salt Lake County Jail.

Viengkeo Sundara, 49, of South Salt Lake, was booked into jail on Friday on a warrant for murder, a first-degree felony.

On May 19, 1991, Youthaloth Oudanonh, 26, was stabbed multiple times in the back, shoulder and neck while attending a dance at 120 W. 1300 South, according to charging documents.

During a confrontation in the parking lot, Viengkeo Sundara said, 'Grab him,' as he clutched one arm, Hoomphanh Vanvilay grabbed the other and both held Oudanonh while Vienphet Sundara stabbed him, the charges state.

After hearing someone shout that a person had been stabbed, an officer working security ran outside and spotted Oudanonh "stumble between two cars, bleeding heavily," the charges state. The three men fled the scene in a white car, according to the charges.

Oudanonh was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. He had been in a confrontation with one of the suspects two weeks before he was killed, according to police.

A Salt Lake police officer spotted the fleeing vehicle getting onto I-15 and stopped it. Vienphet Sundara had blood on his hands, face and clothing, the charges state, and Viengkeo Sundara had what appeared to be blood on shoes. Hoomphanh Vanvilay also had blood on his clothing, according to police, and a knife with blood on the blade was found in the back seat.

All three men were booked into the Salt Lake County Jail but were later released because of a lack of evidence, particularly witnesses willing to step forward, according to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office.


But advances in DNA technology allowed prosecutors to officially file murder charges in early 2016 against all three. Oudanonh's blood was matched with the blood on Vienphet Sundara's and Hoomphanh Vanvilay's clothing as well as the knife, the charges state.

Vanvilay, 46, of Roosevelt, pleaded guilty in 2016 to manslaughter. In exchange for pleading guilty to the reduced charge, he agreed to testify against Vienphet Sundara. His sentencing has been delayed until February 2018 pending the outcome of Vienphet Sundara's case.


Vienphet Sundara, 48, is scheduled to go to trial in January on a charge of murder, a first-degree felony.

Viengkeo Sundara, Vienphet's brother, however, was not found and prosecutors feared he may have fled the country. Salt Lake Country District Attorney Sim Gill said Viegngkeo Sundara was recently picked up out of state and extradited back to Utah, though he did not know Wednesday the details surrounding his arrest.

Viengkeo Sundara's next court hearing is scheduled for Monday.

Related stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast