OGDEN — A man was rescued from the roof of a burning Ogden home following an explosion inside the residence Tuesday.
Ogden deputy fire chief Eric Bauman said the man was hospitalized after his rescue from the home located at 2831 S. Monroe Boulevard. The man's condition was unknown late Tuesday.
The fire, reported shortly before 6 p.m., was either caused by a natural gas explosion or created that explosion, Bauman said. The home is considered a total loss.
Bauman didn't have any additional information about the rescue, but a bystander's video shows the man slowly making his way off of the roof of the burning home, into the arms of three firefighters. Flames, reaching high above the home itself, can be seen raging several feet away.
Nobody else was in the home at the time, according to Bauman.
WATCH: The moment fire crews help a man escape this massive house fire in Ogden. @KSL5TVpic.twitter.com/Kwu59CmQ5V — Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) March 8, 2017
The cause of the fire was not immediately known. The single-family home was fully involved when firefighters arrived, Bauman said. Most of the fire was knocked down by 6:30 p.m., he added, though heavy smoke lingered in the area.
Bauman said he was proud of firefighters for managing to protect the neighboring home to the north, which sustained only "very minor" exterior damage despite being close to the fire. Flames reached at least 30 feet in the air, he said.
Questar Gas and Rocky Mountain Power crews also responded to the scene. Gas was turned off until Questar determined the area was safe. There were no evacuations.
Brandon Fernandez said he was looking in the direction of the home when "the next thing you know there was an explosion."
He said he heard a loud sound and saw the roof lifted off the home.
"It was like something from a movie, definitely," Fernandez said, adding he could feel "intense heat" from where he was standing.