Detroit schools state-appointed manager plans to stay longer



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DETROIT (AP) — A retired judge who handled Detroit's bankruptcy plans to stay at his post running the city's deeply troubled school system until January.

State-appointed emergency manager Steven Rhodes tells the Detroit Free Press he met this week with Gov. Rick Snyder and agreed to extend his contract, which was to expire Sept. 30. Detroit is to swear in a new school board in January.

Snyder spokeswoman Anna Heaton confirmed the meeting to The Associated Press, but says in an email a contract hasn't been signed.

Rhodes calls the board's election "the single most critical issue" the district faces this fall and says the city needs to elect "the best possible school board it can." Earlier this year, the state started moving forward on a $617 million bailout of the financially-strapped district.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast