Saudi government: attacker in Germany was in touch with IS



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — The Saudi Interior Ministry says a member of the extremist Islamic State group was in contact through a social networking application with a Syrian asylum-seeker who blew himself up outside a bar in southern Germany, injuring 15 people.

The Interior Ministry told The Associated Press on Sunday that a Saudi phone line was used to communicate with the attacker in Germany, but that the number was not registered to a Saudi national. It didn't provide further details.

The attack last month in Ansbach, which killed the assailant Mohammad Daleel, was claimed by IS.

German security officials have said that until shortly before the attack Daleel was communicating with somebody in the Middle East.

The Saudi kingdom said it's in contact with German authorities and both sides are investigating the case.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Aya Batrawy

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast