LEHI, Utah (AP) -- A student who had treatment for possible rabies exposure after playing with a bat has only himself to blame, the school district says.
The Alpine School District answered a lawsuit from the student's mother by saying Chase Jackson should have known better than to touch the animal.
The district says it has no responsibility because dangers from bats are obvious.
Traci Turner filed the lawsuit on behalf of her son, Chase Jackson, who caught the bat at school last September and played with it for two hours.
Turner's lawsuit says school officials did nothing to warn students after a bat infestation was discovered at Lehi High School.
The school said it compensated seven students for more than $6,800 in rabies vaccinations.
Information from: The Daily Herald
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)