News / Utah / 

Man critically injured in shooting with Salt Lake officers, police say

(Jeffrey D. Allred/Deseret News)

4 photos

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — One man was in critical condition after a pedestrian stop by police escalated to a shooting Sunday.

Just before 4 p.m., officers attempted to talk to a man walking near 1340 S. Main. Shortly thereafter, the man fled and police pursued him on foot, according to Salt Lake Police Sgt. Robin Heiden.

The chase lasted for about a half-block, and it ended near 1340 S. Major St., Heiden said.

"At the termination point of that foot chase, there were shots fired. The male was hit, and he's been transported to the hospital," Heiden said. "None of the officers were injured in this incident."

It was initially unclear why the confrontation escalated to a shooting, whether the man was armed or how many shots were fired. But Heiden said two officers will be put on administrative leave per the department's policy following officer-involved shootings.

"They were just stopping to talk to him. We do it all the time. It's like a traffic stop, except for a pedestrian," she said. "I don't know what they were stopping him for."

The man's identity was not released Sunday.

The West Valley City Police Department and the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office will take the lead on the investigation, according to Heiden.

Two videos were recorded by witnesses reporting to have been in the area at the time. One video, almost one minute long, was uploaded to Facebook on Sunday. It shows two police vehicles and several officers in front of the yard of a home where a man is standing.

Several shots are fired, and the man drops to the ground. Officers approach the man, and they can be heard telling him, "Get on your stomach right now. Get on your stomach."

More police vehicles arrive before the witness drives away and the video ends.

Another video, about 17 minutes long, was taken from a home across the street after the shooting. It shows police handcuffing the man and securing the surrounding area. About eight minutes into the video, the man is loaded onto a stretcher and carried away.

Jennifer Inge lives in the trailer park next to where the shooting occurred. She said she initially saw two officers arrive at the house next door, and then shots rang out.

"It was really loud. Really loud," Inge said. "And then I heard instant ambulances and sirens and everything."

Inge said she saw the man, whom she didn't recognize, being taken away in a stretcher. Even though Inge has lived in the area for six years and is "used to a lot of crime in this area," it was still hard to watch, she said.

"It was pretty scary stuff," she said. "It's almost comforting, though, to see a quick response to stuff because things can get out of hand really quick."

Contributing: Nicole Vowell


Morgan Jacobsen


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast