The Latest: Sergeant saw shooting of Few, boy

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MARKSVILLE, Louisiana (AP) — The latest on a grand jury meeting to consider charges against two deputy city marshals charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of a 6-year-old boy (all times local):

6:45 p.m.

A police officer who witnessed two city marshals open fire on a 6-year-old boy and his father told investigators he didn't fire his own weapon because "he didn't fear for his life."

Marksville Police Sgt. Kenneth Parnell III's statement was disclosed Thursday in a court filing released by Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell's office following the indictment on second-degree murder charges of the two marshals, Norris Greenhouse Jr. and Derrick Stafford.

The document also said Parnell's body camera shows that Christopher Few's empty hands are raised and visible inside the vehicle when gunfire becomes audible. Few was critically wounded by two gunshots, while his son, Jeremy Mardis, received five gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Stafford and Greenhouse were arrested on second-degree murder charges last month but not formally charged until Thursday.


5:50 p.m.

A grand jury in Louisiana has indicted two deputy city marshals on second-degree murder charges in the fatal shooting of a 6-year-old autistic boy last month while he was strapped into the front seat of his father's vehicle.

The indictment handed up Thursday by an Avoyelles Parish grand jury charges 32-year-old Derrick Stafford and 23-year-old Norris Greenhouse Jr. with one count each of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder.

Police say Stafford, a full-time police lieutenant, and Greenhouse, a former police officer, were moonlighting as deputy city marshals in Marksville on the night of Nov. 3 when they fired at least 18 rounds at a car driven by Chris Few. The shooting severely wounded Few and killed his son, Jeremy Mardis.

Stafford and Greenhouse were arrested on second-degree murder charges last month but not formally charged until Thursday.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast