News / 

Victims of two attacks remembered...Migrants stop their march...More fire evacuations

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 11, 2015 at 9:51 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks aren't the only ones being mourned today. Secretary of State John Kerry is also remembering the four Americans who were killed three years ago on this date, at a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya. He says the anniversary should be a reminder to press on with American diplomacy -- and that the nation will never be intimidated by terrorists.

VIENNA (AP) — Police in Austria have convinced migrants that there will eventually be enough buses to carry them to the capital, Vienna. A throng of migrants had set out by foot for Vienna from the border with Hungary today, and police had to briefly close an expressway because of the potential dangers to the migrants. But now, most have abandoned the 40-mile trek, and will wait for buses.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A judge in South Carolina isn't ruling just yet on whether to grant bail for a white former police officer who's charged with murder in the shooting death of a black man in North Charleston. During a hearing this morning, Michael Slager told the court he's not a flight risk, and that he would abide by any restrictions the judge might set. He's charged in the April 4th death of Walter Scott after a traffic stop.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A lawyer for O.J. Simpson says they'll decide their next step, now that the Nevada Supreme Court has rejected the imprisoned former football star's latest appeal of his 2008 kidnapping and armed robbery conviction. The justices issued a 16-page ruling saying there's no reason to overturn a lower court judge's decisions in the case and give Simpson a new trial. Simpson's lawyers argued that his trial attorney mishandled his case and had conflicts of interest. Simpson is serving 9 to 33 years for a botched hotel room heist in 2007.

FRESNO, California (AP) — Another round of evacuations has been ordered as California's largest wildfire continues to rage in the central part of the state. Fresno County Sheriff's deputies are going door to door distributing mandatory evacuation notices to residents in the tiny community of Dunlap, east of Fresno. About 130 people live in Dunlap, but it wasn't clear how many residents will need to leave by noon. Lightning strikes on July 31 sparked the wildfire. It has charred 172 square miles, growing by nearly 40 square miles in the last week.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast