This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has lauded the renewed cease-fire in the east, saying that not a single Ukrainian soldier has died in fighting this week.
The military conflict in Ukraine's industrial heartland has left more than 6,800 dead and despite a cease-fire declared in February artillery strikes from both sides were still a daily occurrence when both parties pledged last week to finally implement the truce starting Sept. 1.
Poroshenko said Saturday that this is the first week in the year-long conflict when no soldier has been killed in fighting. Several servicemen, however, died from land mines and in car accidents.
Poroshenko said the shelling did not stop completely but the number of artillery strikes dropped from up to 200 a day to just a few now.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.