News / Utah / 

Matt Bowen

Father turns in son after alleged jewelry store burglary

By Pat Reavy | Posted - Sep. 1, 2015 at 10:41 p.m.

7 photos

Show 2 more videos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OREM — One man has been arrested and police were looking for two others who investigators believe broke into Sierra West Diamonds and stole 42 pieces of jewelry.

About 1 a.m. Sunday, an alarm went off at Sierra West Diamonds, 1344 S. 800 East. Police arrived to find the front glass door broken and several thousand dollars in merchandise missing, according to Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez.

Detectives reviewed store surveillance video, and watched one person go inside the store and two stay in the parking lot, Martinez said.

About 3 hours after the burglary, a father contacted police worried that his son might be in trouble, Martinez said. The father found a note in his son's room that said something similar to "I'm sorry," Martinez said, and jewelry was found in his son's room. Officers determined they were items missing from Sierra West.

Giancarlo Delafuente, 20, who lives two blocks from Sierra West, was arrested after he returned home.

About 3:30 p.m. Monday, a stolen vehicle was found behind a restaurant at 1545 S. State. While going through the car, an officer found earrings that had been stolen from Sierra West, Martinez said. The key to the stolen vehicle was located in Delafuente's room, Martinez said.

A credit card from a separate burglary was also found in the car, he said. Investigators determined a man and woman had used that stolen credit card. Photos taken from surveillance video of the man and woman were released to the public Tuesday in an effort to find them.

Anyone with information on the couple can all Orem police at 801-229-7070.

Court records show Delafuente pleaded guilty in October to theft, a third-degree felony, for shoplifting items out of a Wal-Mart store. He was sentenced to six months in jail.

Delafuente was also ordered to serve another 28 days after he completed the six-month sentence for a 2013 felony theft conviction and a drug possession conviction that same year, according to court records.


Pat Reavy


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast