News / Utah / 

Six people rushed to hospital for CO poisoning

Six people rushed to hospital for CO poisoning

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

High levels of carbon monoxide in an Ogden home sent a family to the hospital. Six people were rushed to the hospital after complaining of excessive drowsiness.

Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Chad Tucker says firefighters realized the problem immediately. He says, "Upon arrival of the Ogden fire crews, they entered the residence and right at the door they had a reading of 100 parts per million." Their detectors went off, and crews had to leave the house.

Lethal carbon monoxide levels can be in the range of 100 parts per million. Inside the home, levels were at 800 to 1,000 parts per million.

The cause appears to be a poorly vented water heater and furnace. Tucker says, "They were not able to vent properly. And as the water heater is not venting the carbon monoxide properly, the furnace can then, especially with a central air system, [or] with any kind of a system, the furnace can grab that carbon monoxide and start to circulate it throughout the house."

The residents had very high levels of CO in their bodies by the time crews got to them. Their conditions are unknown at this time.

There were also no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Andrew Adams


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast