Burning Man officials say worker died overnight

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 21, 2015 at 9:30 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

RENO, Nev. (AP) — Burning Man officials are saying a man working to set up the site died of natural causes overnight.

The Reno Gazette Journal reports (http://on.rgj.com/1hwDyvJ) authorities have not confirmed the man's identity, but a letter to Burning Man staff says Scott "Spoono" Stephenson was in his late 50s when he died Wednesday "in the city he loved most."

Burning Man CEO Marian Goodell said in a statement that Stephenson had been a fixture of the event's public works department since 2005.

Pershing County Sheriff's Sgt. Mike Stephens says an investigation is ongoing, and that an autopsy will be performed in Washoe County to determine a cause of death.

A memorial service is being planned.

___

Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast