News / 

IS claims Texas attack...Digging through Nepal landslide debris...GOP budget blueprint advancing



Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BEIRUT (AP) — It's not clear today whether an Islamic State group claim of responsibility for a Texas attack has merit or is simply opportunistic. An audio statement on the extremist group's Al Bayan radio station says that "two soldiers of the caliphate" carried out Sunday's attack at a center near Dallas, Texas, exhibiting cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad. The statement did not provide details. Two suspects were killed.

KATHMANDU, Nepal (AP) — Officials say nine foreign trekkers are among 60 bodies recovered from mudslide debris in Nepal that wiped out an entire village along a popular Himalayan trekking route. Rescuers are still digging today through thousands of tons of earth from the earthquake-triggered slide. Langtang is about 35 miles north of the capital, Kathmandu. Villagers say as many as 200 people may have died.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A measure that promises to speed repeal of President Barack Obama's health care law and deliver a boon to the military is set to pass the Republican-run Senate today. The non-binding budget blueprint passed the House last week. President Barack Obama insists he'll block Republicans from boosting the Defense Department budget unless they agree to relief for domestic programs.

NEW YORK (AP) — In a deeply personal response to outbreaks of racially motivated protests, President Barack Obama is calling for a nationwide mobilization to reverse inequalities. He says that will be his new life mission, adding that "there are consequences to indifference." Later, on the David Letterman's "Late Show," Obama joked that the two should hang out together as both head toward retirement.

CLEVELAND (AP) — Closing arguments are scheduled today in the Cleveland trial of a police officer charged in the deaths of two unarmed people fleeing in a car in 2012. Michael Brelo faces a maximum sentence of 22 years if convicted. The judge says there probably won't be a verdict before May 15. Brelo was one of 13 officers who fired 137 shots but was the only one charged. Prosecutors say he fired 15 rounds after the threat had ended.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast