Red Cross concerned about rise in Afghan civilian casualties



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The International Committee of the Red Cross says it is concerned about a rise in civilian casualties as the Taliban wage their spring offensive.

The Taliban launched the annual offensive last week with an attack in northern Kunduz province, signaling a violent fighting season to come.

Dominik Stillhart, ICRC's director of operations, said Thursday the organization helped 345 wounded people reach health facilities in the first three months of this year, up 19 percent on the same period last year. He noted a suicide attack in eastern Jalalabad on April 18, which killed 35 people and wounded 150, and for which no group claimed responsibility.

He says donors are reducing funding despite rising humanitarian needs. The ICRC has received only 25 percent of its funding needs for this year.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast