Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BRUSSELS (AP) — Belgian authorities are looking for a man who was seen together with the chief suspect after the May terror attack at the Jewish Museum in Brussels that left four people dead.
A Belgian judicial official said Friday they want to speak to a bald-headed man with a sports bag seen together with the suspect four days after the May 24 shooting.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation, said police want to question the man as a witness.
The man accused of the killings, Mehdi Nemmouche, was arrested at a Marseille bus station carrying weapons resembling those used in the killings.
Nemmouche, 29, a French national, was extradited to Belgium in July.
Police had posted a video of a man walking alongside a blurred-out individual last week. It said it did so "within the framework of acts considered murder" but no details of the circumstances linking him to the terror suspect were available until Friday.
The video was published on the day after the anti-terror raids in the eastern Belgian town of Verviers during which two suspects died in a firefight.
Since then, Belgium has stepped up its terror threat level to 3, the second-highest level, and has started posting paratroopers in the streets to protect potential targets like certain embassies and Jewish sites, including the Brussels Jewish Museum.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.