News / Utah / 

West Point man dies after head-on collision in Weber County


Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

HOOPER, Weber County — A man died from the injuries he suffered in a head-on collision that sent another four people to the hospital early Sunday morning.

Just after 1:30 a.m., deputies responded to an accident at 5900 South and 5900 West where a 17-year-old boy from Riverdale driving a Toyota Prius, and a 53-year-old woman driving a Cadillac, collided head-on, according to Weber County Sheriff's Office Lt. Lane Findlay.

The woman and the three occupants of the Cadillac, all from West Point, were traveling south on 5900 West when it collided with the Prius, sending it off the road where it crashed into a ditch. A woman, 35, was riding in the passenger seat and a 36-year-old man and a 29-year-old man were in the back seat. The four occupants all had to be extricated from the car by Weber County Fire Department personnel, Findlay said.

The 29-year-old, identified by deputies as Nicholas James Morse, was critically injured and taken by ambulance to McKay Dee Hospital. He later succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 6 a.m., Findlay said.

Deputies did not immediately know if Morse was wearing his seat belt.

The 17-year-old was traveling north when the cars collided, causing his car to spin out and crash into a telephone pole before he was ejected from the vehicle through the passenger's side window. He was transported to Ogden Regional Medical Center by ambulance with serious injuries, but he was in stable condition when deputies left the scene. He was not wearing a seat belt, Findlay said.

The driver of the Cadillac suffered injuries to her ribs, neck and right knee, and the passenger suffered injuries to her abdomen, chest, neck and face. Both women were transported by ambulance to Ogden Regional Medical Center. Deputies believe both women were wearing seat belts, Findlay said.

The 36-year-old in the back seat suffered serious back and leg injuries. He was transported by ambulance to McKay Dee Hospital. A medical helicopter was initially requested but later cancelled.

They four occupants of the Cadillac were apparently headed home when the accident occurred.

Deputies were investigating Sunday to try to determine the cause of the crash and who may have been in violation of the law. A voluntary blood sample was requested of both drivers to rule out possible impairment, Findlay said.

The roadway was shut down for about three hours while crews were on scene.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Kyle Spencer


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast